While I probably only got a laugh from only the most hard core solar folks, the jokes become just slightly less hilarious when compared to a few stats from this article in United Press International from the U.S. Minerals Management Services on the quadrupling of oil spills since 2000 including the infamous BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico:
- U.S. Minerals Management Services says the annual total of oil spills has increased from an average of four spills per year of 50 barrels or more in the 1990s to more than 17 per year from 2000 to 2009
- Figures indicate the company with the highest average number of spills this decade is oil giant BP, which has been trying to cap a well that has been spewing oil into the Gulf of Mexico since April 20.
- Not counting the current spill, BP and its affiliated companies have reported 23 spills of 50 barrels or more since 2000.
- MMS says Shell Oil Co. is next with 21 spills.
- Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/06/08/US-oil-spills-quadrupled-since-2000/UPI-49761276004328/#ixzz3D2CKi9RQ
Solar! Its great for so many reasons. I for one am happy to be living in a time when we’re moving faster than ever towards a future of energy dominated by Renewable Energy Sources. If you’re offended by how unashamedly cheesy that joke was feel free to post a comment!